This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can someone look over my personal statement for uni?
12-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Can someone look over my personal statement for uni?
Personal statement
I have chosen to apply for a place to study journalism for a number of reasons. I have always had an interest in the media and how it works- current affairs, scandals and politics all interested me from a young age. I watched the news avidly and read my mother’s newspapers from the age of ten and knew more about politics and current affairs than most of my peers. Being aware of the current issues in society is so important, and making a start to changing things can and often begins with the Press. Exposing corruption and illuminating issues, such as the Jimmy Saville scandal, is the press at its best. I have been intrigued by the Leveson enquiry and how the Press can become reprehensible. With my love for the written word, I feel journalism fulfils my passion to communicate my opinions creatively to the outside world. I have a hunger for journalism of all types, frequently reading The Big Issue, The Daily Mail, the Metro and any blogs or publications I can access.
An inspiration for pursuing a journalism career is my aunt Samantha, who is an economic journalist and has written for the likes of the Financial Times and the Guardian. She advised me on the best way to pursue my career, on practises in the business and has offered to give me work experience in January. She was one of the first in my family to go to university, and talking with her has just confirmed my interest in journalism.
At my secondary girls’ school, at which I gained an all-rounder scholarship for art and music, I saw my interest in journalism begin. Whilst completing my GCSE’s, I wrote an article about young girls in our society being pressured to grow up too quickly by influences in the media, and gained top marks. My friend and I later pushed for a school Art magazine to be circulated, documenting works of many of the students. For my articles I visited art galleries and fairs, and conducted interviews. Since leaving, I am proud that the student-run magazine has gained a circulation of around 300 students and teachers.
At college I studied combined English Literature and Language. English was an obvious choice for ‘A’ level, but I also study Late Modern History and Psychology. History has given me a greater grasp of politics, government, and how the press plays a part within historical events. My Extended Project Qualification is titled “How instrumental has the use of social media such as Twitter and Facebook been in fuelling the Arab Spring?” I chose to do my project on something journalism based; and on an issue very much part of current affairs. Choosing this subject has given me a greater understanding of how the press and media work in conjunction with the government and how traditional avenues of communicating news are being expanded and revolutionised through technology and social media. It has also opened my eyes to the power that the press and media hold; enough power in some cases to overthrow dictatorial regimes. I was so interested in this topic I also wrote an article for my college magazine Forward titled “The world without Facebook”, detailing how social media sites such as Facebook have changed our daily lives, and methods of journalism. I feel more enthusiastic than ever before and look forward to pursuing my studies in Journalism. I feel confident that this course will illuminate to me my preferred facet of journalism and teach me what it means to be a successful journalist.

This is my FIRST draft. Please copy and paste with corrections cheers!
1) I don't see any spelling or punctuation errors jumping out, perhaps you could high-light some.
2) Some of my courses are NCTJ accredited, others aren't; I need back-up offers. Would it not be biased to include that in my statement? Am i supposed to write an individual statement for each individual course?
3) I wont be able to organise any work experience until after christmas, but I need to send off my UCAS before the beginning of December preferably.
4) I am not sure which type of journalism I want to pursue. I just don't know enough about all the options yet to make that sort of decision.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Can someone look over my personal statement for uni? - C - 12-06-2012 06:31 PM
[] - Eve - 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
[] - Jony - 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
[] - tanitha - 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
[] - Mite - 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
[] - Some Random Guy - 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM