This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is uk football more popular then US sports?
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Most people watch NBA games at home, compare the cost of going to a UK football game to a NBA game the cheap seats in an NBA game are what box seats cost in a UK Football game. NBA top stars are actually just as well known if not more well known than the average football roster (mind you I said top stars) I bet you almost every person you Know knows who Lebron James and Kobe Bryant are even if they don't watch the NBA, but come to the USA and try to find 10 random people who can list the starters of Manchester United.

I know football is more popular world wide, but the NBA stars are actually better known the world over, not just in the UK but world wide. got to China and ask them to name a UK football team I bet the couldn't, but ask them to name the starting lineup of the Miami Heat or Houston Rockets (they know Houston in China because the most popular Chinese player in the world is there) San Antonio has a player that is like a Rock God in south and Central America (the heart of Football fandom) Manu Ginobili can't walk the streets without getting mobbed south of the US border. He is one of the most popular athletes in the world. Also Tony Parker (even though he's a Frenchman) I'm quite certain many of you in the UK know he is VERY well especially after what he did to the UK national team in euro-league tournament play leading up to the Olympics. Last I'm certain you all know who Dirk Nowitski is as well. Yes hes from Germany, but he's another European player who is a NBA star and face of a franchise.

So it seems to me that your looking at this whole thing with a rather myopic point of view. As I said before, the popularity of the sport of Football is defiantely greater across the UK, but to make the assumption that fans don't support the teams by turnout at an early season game is wrong. (we tend to show up in greater numbers after the all-star break since the NBA regular season is 86 games long while the average UK football team plays around 10-14 games a season). To base popularity on YOU not knowing and NBA team roster means nothing if your not a major fan. Like I said I'm betting many of your friends could name an NBA star, while most Americans couldn't name a UK footballer. The sport of football is more popular globally, but NBA basketball's stars are better know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Ryan - 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
[] - Randy - 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
[] - Messi - 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
[] - Dr. Doom - 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
[] - Yogi-D - 01-21-2013 01:00 PM