This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question for gunsmiths/gunowners?
01-21-2013, 02:51 PM

I saw no use for trigonometry in high school, but it has been the most useful math in my work career and daily life. Anything from building a barn roof or just using the 3-4-5 formula to get the corner post square on a barbed wire fence. There is no end to the usefulness of trig and not that other math is less important, because you need the others to be able to do trig. My last job was in mold building and it would have been impossible to produce a Luer taper (used on medical syringes etc.) without the use of trig. Gunsmiths will use it in many ways also. So now that is just the math part.
Basic machine shop as others have said and welding is the second most useful in trade courses. I will add that TIG welding is the only welding type that I would ever use on firearms.(Tungsten/Inert Gas)
TIG welding is the violinist of the welding field. It is clean and ultra precise. You can actually restore a delicate part or even build a part on a firearm such as a front sight or even supplement artwork and applying hard faces on working surfaces such as locking lugs that are worn...... there is no end!
I do not want to give you a long-winded answer,but those above things are so important to your journey as a gunsmith.
Do not think for a second that I am down playing any other answers because all could be very important to your suggested career.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - august - 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
[] - Mrbill - 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
[] - chris w - 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
[] - Hamish - 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
[] - BBean - 01-21-2013 02:51 PM
[] - SW28fan - 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM