This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I feel like I'm getting nowhere while everyone is moving forward?
01-24-2013, 07:42 PM

It feels like there's pressure now, but I promise you, you can change your mind a million times, and be 40 years old, and you can still change your mind.

You just need to find a structured way to explore real options. You gained experience in corporate, fair enough, I know I don't want a typical desk job. Working in retail/restaurant/volunteer/assistant... ya, those aren't careersr, which is what you seem to be looking for. Those are filler jobs because you're lost, and they're great while you're finding yourself, but you're using these as a means to the end.

Almost every job you're dealing with people, which means you will deal with some people you hate, and some people you like. It's all a part of growing up; learning how to manage the people we don't like.

But again, not all bosses and not all co-workers are going to give you hell and make you get fired. You need to look at your real options. What careers have interested you? Pick one, and then do the research on the education required, what those qualifications will cost you, is there a market for the job, what will your salary by like, what is the social contact like, etc. etc. When you find that the information on this one subject doesn't suit you, then you repeat the process for a different career option. IF it passes this stage and you're still interested, then you do social research. Ask people who are currently in their field, and get into internships or volunteer positions within the companies to start networking and to experience if you actually like those careers. Maybe even take a course at school to see if you would enjoy the material.

You pick a dream that might be the one, you follow it through, and when you get to something you don't like, you switch. My sis is going through this problem right now. For years, she thought she would go into science. Now that she's spent a year at uni for it, she hates it. She loves creating and design, I've told her for years to try architecture, and now she's looking into the market and schools for it. I've also suggested she take a summer course at a nearby college in architecture, which she immediately loved.

WORK AT IT

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - BeeLiz19 - 01-24-2013 07:42 PM
[] - mrreliable3599 - 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM
[] - Talita K. - 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM