This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I've actually started a side business that does reasonably well. How do I extricate myself from the 9-5?
01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I've actually started a side business that does reasonably well. How do I extricate myself from the 9-5?
I'm a bit over 40 and created a somewhat successful side business a few years ago that does reasonably well but not enough for me to quit the day job. Here are the numbers:

After expenses, my side business, which I mostly accomplish on weekends, brings in about $40k a year.

My day job is about 50 hours a week and brings in about $70k, but includes benefits (though about $10,000 a year in commuting costs).

Neither number above takes into account taxes. These are just rough numbers.

Now the home business is not simply one where if I devote more hours it will pay more. It is a nice operation with certain clientele. But I believe it would be able to blossom and reach a fuller potential if I were available M-F to tend to it. Also, as stated, it has no benefits and payments come in in dribs and drabs.

Now, up until a few years ago, somehow, my family and I used to be able to live off of a total gross income under $60k. Our expenses have not increased that much, however, my savings are minimal because I've only entered this higher income bracket in the past couple of years and have been catching up on older bills and expenses associated with starting the business. At this point, any additional income should be gravy.

What would be a reasonable plan of action for me to get away from the 9-5 and become self-sufficient?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I've actually started a side business that does reasonably well. How do I extricate myself from the 9-5? - Harry B., Telepath - 01-25-2013 09:44 AM
[] - Apollenaire - 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM
[] - SSF Tofudebeast - 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM
[] - Small Business Gal - 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM
[] - Friendlybat537 - 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM