This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I don t know what to talk about with my folks ???? need 4 topics a day?
10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I don t know what to talk about with my folks ???? need 4 topics a day?
I guess it happens to each and everyone of us , generation gap , bad aging, all that stuff but lately when I come back it s really cringing to talk with my parents .The thing is I m living abroad and currently I m compelled to stay here for visa reason , can t afford going to the hotel so I am compelled to crash at my parents home .
my father is retired (he took it very hard even if he spent his time bitching about his work). Doesn t have any real hobbies (goes back and forth tv and computer all day long). Doesn t belong to any cultural club .No social activity . Hates to travel and isn t even aware that sometimes he s borderline racist behind its veneer of understanding . Know s... about sport . Has a knack for monopolizing conversation with his opinion (some of our dinner talk is merely my dad talking while my mother and I listen . ) and he has an opinion for everything .
my mother doesnt know much either but at least she is very keen to travel , have an active social life a job and so on . Still things like social media , asia , world soccer aren t very fashionable topic here ... not her world either ....
I guess I could talk about my life but even if getting personal is a key principle of good conversation I can t do that too much here : my pop loves to lecture us and tell us how to lead our life...There is a limit to how much effort I m ready to make .Getting blamed at my private life and personal decision is one of them.
It s already hard to relate but when my litlle sister comes back it becomes really troublesome....She s accostumed to L.A pace and lifestyle .... the generation gap is even more obvious and my sister find very hard to put up with this charade ....
Clearly I have to PREPARE topics before I go dinner with my folks !!!and finding common ground for everyone grows harder and harder.... once it s on I m good at managing the whole thing by passing the ball , checking everyone gets its turn ,asking questions , cutting threads to keep things lively ... but finding a good topic...
I m plugged to my RSS reader , twitter to find latest topic but even like that it s not easy ....I NEED at least 4 topics a day .
Any idea for a source of topic ? I have most social bookmarking and trend site rssed (digg,stumbleupon , reddit,yahoo buzz ,tweetmeme ), news website .

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I don t know what to talk about with my folks ???? need 4 topics a day? - jason_fly - 10-12-2012 08:03 AM
[] - majenta - 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM
[] - vjmaliyil - 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM