This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What kind of dog should I get?
02-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Good that you have not jumped right in and purchased, and are taking the time to pause and thoroughly research before committing to owning a particular breed.

By nature the Doberman is a standoffish breed that will calmly take note of the presence of strangers its leader/owner allows into the home, but not react with excitement or much interest. Some dogs will warm up to guests, while others will remain reserved and act as if they are not there, going about its business.

It is not the healthiest of breeds, which is why purchasing from one of the top kennels that health tests and proves breed worthiness by titling their stock is important. From eighteen months a healthy Doberman can be taken out jogging, with its stamina increased gradually over time. My dog is up on his toes eager to be outside burning off surplus energy and loves jogging, with down time to track and play after we are done and in peak physical condition.

As important as regular hard exercise is mental stimulation and it is a breed that loves to learn and wants to be doing something to challenge its mind, with training ongoing throughout its life.

Perhaps from the breeds listed the Labrador may be better suited to what you want in a dog, as by nature a sound tempered dog is social with dogs and people, and when it is physically mature could be taken out jogging.

If you are both working you may want to consider an adult rescue dog from a breed or general rescue or an older dog run on the a working gun dog/show breeder, as its temperament and abilities would be fully developed, and the traits you require could be matched to against the needs of the dogs to find a suitable dog.

I suggest you begin by contacting the breed clubs as they are a font of useful information about the breeds and discuss what you want in a dog and plan to do with it and they will give honest advice on suitability, including the positive and negative aspects of owning it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What kind of dog should I get? - Joe - 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
[] - Paige - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
[] - Lilly - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
[] - I Like Stories - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
[] - Pao - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
[] - Live with Love - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
[] - BelovedBig423 - 02-12-2013 08:01 PM
[] - Annoyingsummer866 - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
[] - alicia - 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM