This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do most editors ask for photos for free from photographers?
04-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Because they can.

There are enough people who are happy to provide photos in return for a photo credit that they don't need to pay.

Standards have dropped to the point that almost any DSLR owner can produce work that is "good enough" just by using the all-auto-no-brain mode.

I speak from experience as one of the ego whores who performs services for free under many circumstances. First of all, although my journalistic photography is on a professional level (in my judgement and in the judgement of two editors I work for regularly), I earn a living doing something else. My income is sufficient to support my photo habit. I say that I shoot for free, but in reality I am usually shooting for some charity, organization, or event, that I am involved with and wish to publicize or promote. I look at it as them doing me a favor. I do occasionally take assignments for things that are close to my house or for events that I will be attending anyway.

Second of all, I accept concert gigs in exchange for a couple of comp tickets, so that's not really working for free. I get to hear someone I want to hear anyway, have the freedom as the house photographer to roam freely (and discreetly) through the venue, and often get to meet the artist. I usually only give the promoter or organization a few images, so my commitment to post-production work isn't too great.

I also provide free services to a Motorsports park in exchange for free access to any event I want to see, whether I am working the event or not. It is cool to get inside the fence for photography, so I think it's a fair exchange.

I recently was asked to cover an event on a weekend, because the staff photogs were either off or assigned elsewhere. Since I would not have otherwise gone to this event, I said I would do it for pay. I was told by the editor, "We don't have a budget to pay outside photographers." Since the paper now has a circulation of almost 30,000, I told him that he needs to re-evaluate that stance. He said that he is trying to do something about this, but not until "next year." I don't know if that means January or July, but in the meantime I will not help them solve their budget crisis. I am really the only outsider who submits regularly, so that decision will affect me as well as their local coverage.

I will continue shooting on these terms. Shen it serves ME to work for free, I will do so. Usually it is mutually beneficial. I won't take assignment from any website, magazine, or newspaper, for an event that they are simply trying to avoid paying somebody.

I also don't work privately for free. I never have. I realize that this sort of thing takes food off of a photographer's table. Obviously if I take the job, a pro doesn't get it, but I am not contributing to the culture that devalues professional services.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - FRED - 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
[] - Steve P - 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
[] - Picture Taker - 04-16-2013 03:43 PM
[] - Patagonia - 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
[] - Tim - 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
[] - Eric Lefebvre - 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM