This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Discuss ways children are conditioned to follow social norms today.....?
10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

First off I would make my kid(s), if and when I ever have kids, aware of the existence of social norms. This way my kids are able to distinguish what social norms are, and decide when they wish to follow them, or ignore them. Some I would emphasize that they follow, such as manners.

In the earlier years of school kids are taught what social norms to follow. These can include when a teacher tells a kid that it is not OK to be late, or call people rude names.

Parents usually enforce things such as manners and good work ethic. All of these so far sound good, but there can also be social norms which restrict your free will, such as wearing normal clean clothes. Sometimes people can get a good laugh out of people breaking social norms.

All and all social norms are a good thing to teach kids, though it should not be a strict book of rules kids have to follow. Also, the distinction should be made between breaking norms such as attire in order to be funny, and manners which can be just rude if you ignore them
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Lois L - 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
[] - Optimumsententia - 10-12-2012 03:38 PM