This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hard time deciding between a GSD & a Lab?
04-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Personally, I think the lab would be a better choice for you. While I understand you would like a dog with protective instincts, those same protective instincts can be dangerous. I personally know three different people who have been bitten by GSDs, but I've also known GSDs that were fine with people. If you do go for a GSD, be VERY careful with the breeder so you know the mother and father aren't aggressive. Also, most importantly, spend A LOT of time socializing and training the puppy when he is young. Have lots of interaction with strangers(ESPECIALLY children), other dogs, and even cats.

But, even with doing those things, I think a lab would be better. Labs are really the type of dog that want to be doing what you're doing. So if you're out hiking, they want to be hiking. If you're sitting on the couch watching TV, they want to be too. A common misconception is that because a dog is friendly with strangers, they won't be good protectors. This isn't true. A lab will be friendly with strangers as long as their owner isn't being threatened. If most dogs feel their master is being threatened, they'll do something about it. Labs are also very smart and EXTREMELY trainable because of their willingness to please. As far as the spaz thing, going to pick out the puppy in person can help with that. A laid back puppy will usually be a fairly laid back adult. They can also easily be taught not to chew things they're not supposed to, as long as you begin training them as puppies and provide things that they CAN chew (toys, boys, etc). Labs are also known as one of the most kid-friendly breeds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - uknowitstrue - 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM
[] - Tara - 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
[] - Saddle Sore - 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM
[] - Emily - 04-29-2013 09:50 AM