This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have you left an abusive relationship?
04-29-2013, 09:52 PM

I was in a similar relationship (except I was never thrown down stairs or that drastic) for 5 years before ending the relationship. Its really hard at first because you are having to adjust your whole life and get used to being on your own. It was scary at first (the first 6 months were the hardest) because I would get lonely, but after that, it got better.

I started reconnecting with old friends I had before the relationship and reconnecting with my family. I met and made new friends. There are to pieces of advice I would like to give you if things get a bit tough ....

1. If you need to talk to someone and don't have anyone, go see a counsellor or therapist. They are really good to talk to and don't pass judgement. Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest and by going to a counsellor instead of a friend, it can be better for your recovery
2. Stay single for at least a year - two if you can. This gives you time to fully reboot who your are, what you want as well as your confidence and self esteem. It also prevents you from taking baggage into a new relationship as you are recovering from a bad relationship and also allows you time to work out what you DO want in a partner
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Monarchco - 04-29-2013, 09:32 PM
[] - honesty_counts - 04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
[] - Sue C - 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM
[] - *Astro* - 04-29-2013 09:52 PM