This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My parents don't support my major?
04-30-2013, 04:59 AM
My parents don't support my major?
I'm a college sophomore. At the start of college when I was a freshman, I was SURE I wanted to be an English major. But somewhere between then and now (it's my second semester), something changed. I am not as passionate as I was about it before. My school had this event where students officially declare their major by signing their name in a book and then you get a button and pamphlet. I signed my name and officially declared it, but afterwards I still felt unsure. My friends were so proud of what they signed: taking pictures, posting on Facebook how excited they were, proudly wearing their buttons. I didn't feel like that at all. I still was unsure and uncomfortable. When people asked me I didn't want to talk about it at all.

I want to change, but the problem is my parents don't really support anything else I want to do. The other day I brought up that I was considering switching to sociology (I want to be an adoption counselor), and my dad said in the most condescending tone: "Sociology? What would you do with that? Why don't you just stick with English?" Everything I suggest changing to, my parents shoot down: psychology, sociology, social work, etc.

They're paying for school, so I understand that they'd want me to do something practical. But I hate feeling like I have to choose my major around what they want. Advice?
You know what? Forget it. I'm just going to go into the teaching program. Thanks everybody for the help.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My parents don't support my major? - erds_08 - 04-30-2013 04:59 AM
[] - Charles - 04-30-2013, 05:10 AM
[] - bubbles - 04-30-2013, 05:18 AM
[] - Pinky - 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM
[] - Donald B - 04-30-2013, 05:41 AM