This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
buy/sell: complaining about people stealing digital media (music, etc.) is like complaining about the library?
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
buy/sell: complaining about people stealing digital media (music, etc.) is like complaining about the library?
before you answer think about the purpose of a library and how it compares to the new age of file sharing and digital pirating...

...i don't necessarily agree with this sentiment...just something that came up in my head...
@walrus, that doesn't really address the parallel i was trying to make but rather describing the basic constructs of a library...also if you borrow from the library you are consuming a product you did not pay for which you can keep borrowing so I don't see the difference with DL music for free...
i'm not trying to justify pirating....i just want a valid reason why stealing music is 100% bad and should be abandoned by society...
also you can borrow music in the library...and rip the music to your computer...so what's the major difference between that and DL that exact same music online?
@quato, you don't need thousands of money to create music...sure it helps tremendously in the overall quality of your music but there are "indie" musicians that manage to create projects w/o professional studio time...
@quato, i think they are very comparable, the only difference is that piracy is still deemed "bad" by society because most haven't caught on to its benefits and how it is the inevitable future for media consumption...books can even be pirated...i mean you can argue that we should spend less time arguing if piracy is bad and more time thinking of ways to take advantage of how easily media can be distributed and shared now...
...i mean to be against being able to DL music, movies. etc. for music is like being against television or the telephone back when they were first invented...the only difference is that the methods of obtaining these media is within the old-school doctrine of "thou shalt not steal" which i think we need to look past, at least regarding this topic so we can progress technologically...i mean human genetics has its moral qualms but its the future too...
...i mean experimenting and manipulating human genetics...
@quato, last time i checked creating music wasn't a job necessary for human survival so "hell no" i don't think musician's deserve to be compensated for what they do and if they got into creating music SOLELY for the monetary gain then that's up to them to work with the current technology to achieve that...that's not my problem as a consumer...musicians don't have to release their work to the public but once they do for the most part due to the our currently technological advances it's out of their hands how it is manipulated and distribute...

also people who create film, videogames, etc. have to deal with pirating too so you are DEAD WRONG about that....
to be perfectly honest i don't think any of you guys are comprehending my point...not that you don't have your own point to make but it's detrimental to the debate I presented if the main topic at hand is not understood and therefore not addressed...
@mic, y u so smart?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
buy/sell: complaining about people stealing digital media (music, etc.) is like complaining about the library? - Beni, got 12 bisexuals on deck - 05-01-2013 04:06 PM
[] - giganticscarecrow929 - 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
[] - Old Fogey - 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM
[] - skinnybutter966 - 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM
[] - Awesome Gan - 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
[] - MuckyCat - 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM
[] - screechingdaughter027 - 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM