This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do you hate your Samsung Dart?
05-03-2013, 02:36 AM

.I purchased the Dart on sale for $100 directly from T-Mobile and have had this phone for over a month.

Battery life, as with most Android phones, is average. With regular usage, I need to charge daily (I keep the charging USB cable in the office and the AC charger at home). The camera isn't particularly good, but I don't mind since I have a dedicated point-and-shoot for doing serious photography. If you are looking for 4G support, also note that this supports 3G only. That said, I am using the Dart without a data plan, relying solely on wi-fi, which works great.

The screen size on the Dart is smaller than most, but keep in mind that this phone has a very small footprint (see photo). Having carried an LG Env2 previously, I opted for the Dart specifically because of its small size (see picture) as I wanted something that would fit comfortably in my pocket. The downside of this, however, is that some applications (e.g. Words with Friends, AnyStop) are not supported by the Dart.

I thought I would miss having a physical keyboard, but Swype works great for texting, and speech-to-text works reasonably well, too.

PROS: small size
CONS: average battery life, not-so-great camera

I am still mostly satisfied with this phone (small size is its best feature IMO) but thought I'd add a few more observations.

1. Internal app storage is somewhat lacking. Naturally, I tried moving whatever apps I could to the microSD, but this is a limited solution. I have not rooted the phone (and have no desire to do so) but am running the stock Android distribution.

Running the DiskUsage app shows 177 Mb of internal memory, and I usually have about 20 Mb free, which is close to the threshold of triggering the low memory error. I don't install an inordinately large amount of applications (Touchdown, Maps, Facebook, and ThinkFree Office are the biggest space users) so encountering the warning from time to time can be an annoyance. I typically deal with this by clearing cache for various apps.

2. I flip between using 3G and WiFi, disabling one or the other in an attempt to maximize battery life. Sometimes this results in the phone entering a state where enabling WiFi returns an error repeatedly. Usually, this can only be resolved by rebooting the phone. I don't know if this is specific to Froyo or the Dart.

3. I've dropped the phone on hard surfaces a few times (bare, no protective sleeve), and it works fine.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - . - 05-03-2013 02:36 AM
[] - Akhand - 05-03-2013, 02:47 AM