This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are some cliches that always happen in supernatural teen stories?
05-04-2013, 12:15 AM

If you want an example of supernatural/teen cliches used and shown in a competent, interesting way without seeming condescending, check out Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I know, it's a show, not a book, but still a good example. the title makes you think it's gonna be overrun with badly done cliches, but it actually puts a fresh spin on some.
For romance, like someone else said, I hate it when a girl's achievements by the end are gaining self confidence through the love of some boy. As if she needs that seal of approval to make anything else she's done valid. That's where things like twilight really fail. There's more to life than love, and you don't need it to validate yourself.
For teen cliches I gotta say I hate the emphasis books/movies/tv shows ect put on cliques and social groups. Like, as if in every community there's a clear division of nerds/geeks/preps/jocks/goths/cheerleaders. Maybe in some places it's like that, but to me it seems a little ridiculous. Speaking as a teenager myself, teens rotate around a lot of different 'social groups', maybe drifting towards people who share their interests. Just like adults.
Though, of course there are bullies, people who acts like twats in front of their friends to try and seem cool ect. But in my experience, the line between them is never as big as popular media suggests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - IHasNoMaster <33 - 05-03-2013, 11:57 PM
[] - S.K. - 05-04-2013, 12:12 AM
[] - Louise - 05-04-2013 12:15 AM
[] - Jesslyn - 05-04-2013, 12:27 AM