This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are people ignorant today about the real world?
05-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Are people ignorant today about the real world?
It seems that many people here (mostly women and younger people in general) demand a study of some sort before they will believe something. It's as if they have lost the ability to reach a common observational truth on their own. They have outsourced their own ability to think to the academics (which is a scary thought). This is very troubling when you examine it. In other words, these type of people only believe the written word, and not the collective common experiences that people have had. And to take it one step further, they are subject to those that control the flow of information. And who ever controls information, controls the beliefs of these people.
@Just me
You did not understand my question. I am not against proof. I'm against people who have lost the ability to think for themselves, in other words, critical thinking. Much of life does not need studies to understand it. You mentioned intelligence. An intelligent person will observe, notice patterns and trends, understand possibilities from probabilities. And be able to reach a well thought out conclusion without there being a need for a study. Hell, observation is one of the principles of science. I'm not talking Philosophy here, but critical thought.
@O.o
Generalizations are the foundation of wisdom. Science, Medicine, Math all subscribe to this principle. In order to under the small picture, one must first be able to understand the big one.
@Sexy B@$t@rd
I hear what you are saying, but your example could apply to something that you and I may agree on. Growing up in public housing must be difficult, Less space, lower socioeconomic group, most likely black or latino, in general....just a tough upbringing all around. Now I don't need a study to know these things. I have observed them my whole life. Never the less, yes the collective could be wrong, but not very often.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Are people ignorant today about the real world? - The Fall of Man - 05-06-2013 12:54 AM
[] - crookedjeans829 - 05-06-2013, 01:06 AM
[] - Donald - 05-06-2013, 01:09 AM
[] - Silver - 05-06-2013, 01:13 AM
[] - O.o - 05-06-2013, 01:20 AM
[] - Lacy Girl - 05-06-2013, 01:31 AM
[] - Sexy B@$t@rd - 05-06-2013, 01:45 AM
[] - O - 05-06-2013, 01:58 AM