This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think it's fair that readers review books they didn't finish reading? + an Amazon Q.?
05-27-2013, 02:57 PM

-I generally think it's okay to review a book even if you didn't finish it. I mean, I'd be a little iffy about a review that someone wrote for a book that they'd only read a few pages of, but if they read at least a few chapters before they stopped then I think it's fine to review it.

-The only time I'd ever not let myself review an unfinished book is if I had only read a few pages. Otherwise, I'll write a review whether I stopped reading because it was boring, poorly written, or just not my thing and I'll say exactly why it was boring/poorly written/not my thing. For me, reviews aren't so much about telling people to read a book or not to read it, their purpose is to help someone decide if a book is something that they personally would enjoy. I would never tell someone that they should never read a book just because I didn't like it, but I would tell them that it may not be their thing if they're irritated by the same kind of things that irritate me.

-I understand not wanting authors to rate/review their own books because they have a vested interest in those books doing well, however I don't think that they should be banned from rating/reviewing any other books. Most people who write (including published authors) are also readers and they should be able to express their opinions as readers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Eibhlinn - 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
[] - Ellie - 05-27-2013 02:57 PM
[] - Rebe - 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
[] - cathrl69 - 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM