This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think it's fair that readers review books they didn't finish reading? + an Amazon Q.?
05-27-2013, 03:06 PM

1) Yes, assuming I gave it a decent try (for me, that counts as reading at least the first 2 chapters). Like you, I want to warn others if I didn't like a book enough to finish it, and I agree that reviews help people decide whether to read a book. A lot of books look interesting, but I can only read so many, so I have to choose somehow, and reading reviews helps a lot with that process.
2) I definitely give the most bad reviews to books where I thought the writing was bad. I feel like being bored by a book is more subjective than being unimpressed by the quality of the writing. If a book is written well but just doesn't interest me, I at least have a certain degree of respect for the book and its author, but if the book isn't even written well, I respond quite negatively to the fact of its existence.
3) I hadn't heard that Google was doing that, but my immediate reaction to hearing it from you was that it was unfair. Google has the right to create their own policy, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Authors are readers, too. If I ever publish a book, I don't want people to say that makes me severely biased towards every other book in existence because it doesn't. Writing books is not a competition. Well, it is for some authors, I mean, but I feel it shouldn't be. Writing isn't about selling the most books or getting the most acclaim as an author. The creation of a book, and not the kudos the author gets for it, should be the reward for writing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Eibhlinn - 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
[] - Ellie - 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM
[] - Rebe - 05-27-2013 03:06 PM
[] - cathrl69 - 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM