This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How would you change the Constitution?
10-13-2012, 05:53 AM

The thing you never hear about the Constitution is that it is made up mostly of compromises. The delegates had some very serious issues of disagreement and they managed to resolve them all through compromise. In fact many of the delegates came home to tell folks that the document they created was mostly a failure, and all the work would probably have to be done over again in 20 or 30 years.

What that means is that there's stuff in the Constitution that cheesed off either side, and even some stuff that NOBODY liked. So anyone who's studied the Const. even a little bit would have strong opinions on what they'd like to see changed.

OTOH, the original document was so good it's lasted 223 years so far. With only a couple dozen changes. (The first 10 amendments don't really count as changes because they were added before the Const. was ratified!)

I think I would change the Const. to protect working people from the power of capital. I don't think it's the Const's place to define what -capitalism- is, but I think we need some protection at the Constitutional level to protect civil and human rights from money rights. I think we need to preserve 'one man one vote', rather than what we have now, ''one dollar one vote'. The Citizens United decision basically legalizes corporate interests to just buy elections, and I think that's not what our founders had in mind, and it's not right. Money is only interested in concentrating wealth, and one purpose of the Constitution was to protect the rights of citizens from the rights of money.

Maybe a Constitutional amendment asserting that corporations are not 'people', at least in terms of being able to contribute money to political campaigns, setting limits on personal donations, and requiring full disclosure. Even better would be federal financing of election campaigns, putting candidates on a level playing field and greatly limiting the enormous amounts of money being thrown at elections these days.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Mr. Smartypants - 10-13-2012 05:53 AM
[] - Rankin - 10-13-2012, 05:53 AM
[] - Black Dalek - 10-13-2012, 05:53 AM
[] - C O Jones - 10-13-2012, 05:53 AM
[] - Nafnlaus - 10-13-2012, 05:53 AM