This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Writers: Would you really want fame knowing all the mean things people would say about you?
10-14-2012, 12:52 AM

That's a very interesting question. I am British and I have seen so many talented people get torn up and spat out by the British media once they were finished with them. If I did have what it took to be so popular and famous I would probably be a Thomas Pynchon type or like J.D. Salinger; I'd shy away from the spotlight altogether. I'd employ a person to attend my websites, facebook and twitter pages and even employ someone to read and respond to my fan mail. But I'd really have nothing to do with any of it.

It sounds mean, since I’d love to talk to people who enjoy my work, but what choice do people really have these days. My biggest fear would be that the press and media and general haters would attack those close to me just to get to me. I think Pynchon has it right; He writes, publishes, and takes his dogs for a walk or goes for evenings out with those closest to him and doesn't have to worry about photographers or any kind of hassle from people.

BQ1: I think all personal comments are out of line. A writer should be judged solely on their work not their personal life or anything else.

BQ2: I believe people should always hear the bad if they are prepared to hear the good. I however will sacrifice the good comments just to spare myself of hearing the bad.

Thanks for the interesting question :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Andrew - 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
[] - Brooke - 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
[] - A/lie - 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
[] - Vengeful Strumpet - 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
[] - gentledonkey020 - 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
[] - Wanderer - 10-14-2012 12:52 AM