This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where would you put a windfall you need to live on now?
10-14-2012, 02:06 AM

First, I don't think you don't need an advisor. Read The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning and you can do it yourself.

I think in your situation the answer is actually quite simple. You will not take any risk, so that really limits your options. As you know interest rates are at historic lows today but they won't stay there forever. Short-term bond funds do have some interest rate risk but it is small, because if rates go up they reinvest at the new higher rates. Laddered CDs would provide some protection since you could reinvest maturing CDs at new rates if they go up.

I would look at a blend of short-term bond funds, laddered CDs, and a money market fund. Given this money is going to cover you for many years, make sure you don't exceed the FDIC insurance limit at any one institution.

In your position - exiting from a career you can't re-enter, with sufficient capital to cover you for 7-8 years without having to touch your tax-deferred money - I agree that protection of capital is critical. But also keep in mind that even though you might not be able to re-enter your current career, you could choose to work in a different one. Even a comparatively low paying job that nets a few hundred a month can make a big difference in stretching your nest egg out longer.

Since this forum doesn't support a back-and-forth discussion, I recommend you join bogleheads.com and ask your question there. The members are helpful and know their stuff, and you'll get quality advice without having to pay an advisor.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - likepepsi - 10-14-2012 02:06 AM