This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it normal to be 14 and on birth control?
02-19-2014, 12:49 PM

No, it's not normal or particularly healthy.

Menorrhagia isn't genetic, it's likely because of your age and would have been easily managed with dietary changes and menstrual cups - even if it was excessively heavy there are far safer and more effective treatment options such as Tranexamic Acid which is better at reducing flow and wouldn't suppress your entire menstrual cycles or risk as many side-effects as a result. Acne is a normal part of puberty, it would be best to regulate hormones, use oil cleansing method, and go to a dermatologist to deal with acne.

Hormonal birth control should really only be considered as birth control or to manage serious health conditions, I consider it unethical for any doctor to use it for other purposes without making it clear to women what it does and the effect of covering-up a menstrual health problem rather than treating it. I consider it doubly unethical to prescribe it to a 13 year old who likely doesn't understand the full implications or risks, especially as you hadn't had your periods long enough to determine if this was an actual problem or just due to menarche. I'd argue you were unable to consent to going on the pill, the fact you're here asking these questions shows you were not allowed to make a full informed choice.

Hormonal birth control suppresses your entire menstrual cycle, a major function of your body which effects you physically, mentally, neurologically, and emotionally - whether you're aware of it or not your menstrual cycles have many benefits and control over 150 functions within your body, so suppressing that means you lose benefits and have a major effect on your health, including multiple severe health risks.

We genuinely have no idea of the long-term effects of putting teens on hormonal birth control, but needless to say there are serious concerns in stopping menstrual cycles at a time when cycles should be allowed to regulate and during development. Hormonal birth control has multiple health risks for adult women, for teens going through sexual and physical development the risks may be far greater. We know that hormonal birth control prevents our bodies from absorbing nutrients as well, it lowers the immune system, it effects bone development, and it effects muscle development - all this could cause long-term problems.

In terms of having kids in the future - there's nothing to say that you won't be able to, but the pill may make it harder. This is because your problems left untreated may return once you come off the pill, because you've not had a chance to learn about your fertility you will struggle to tell when you are fertile, also it depletes folic acid which means if you were to get pregnant coming off the pill the risks of the baby experiencing brain development problems and miscarriage are higher.

The issue is complex, I don't say this to be patronising but because it is - there is a battle going on between pharmaceutical companies and those who work in women's health about this issue, and there is a long history of social issues with the pill being [mis]used like this and health risks involved. In short though it is best not to be on hormonal birth control and to deal with the underlying problem, suppressing such a major aspect of your body isn't ideal and certainly not during puberty especially.

A few pages that may explain some of the issues in more detail;
Looking for hormone balance? The Pill is not the answer - http://www.larabriden.com/looking-for-ho...the-answer
The Pill is Bad Medicine. 7 ways that Hormonal Contraception Harms Women - http://www.larabriden.com/the-pill-is-ba...arms-women
I, Being Born Woman And Suppressed - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/i...suppressed
Sweetening The Pill (check out book, blog, and facebook) - http://sweeteningthepill.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - crazy - 02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
[] - Night - 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM
[] - Jay-Jay - 02-19-2014 12:49 PM
[] - Becca - 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM