This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I become a nurse if I don't like stress?
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Should I become a nurse if I don't like stress?
I am 21 years old and have been going to community college for 3 years (no loans because of scholarship). I have yet to choose a major, and really want to transfer to university within the year to complete a bachelors. I'm pretty indecisive and have considered a few majors. The first one was a degree in dietetics because I was really interested in nutrition and being healthy. But there's not a lot of room for growth in the field, and either you start up your own private practice which I probably wouldn't want to do, or you work for a hospital where most clients don't care about what you say. I then though about teaching kids, as someone I really look up to teaches and I think it's a good role. However, I have never really been around kids and and pretty shy and socially awkward, and the market isn't good for teachers. Someone I work with is going into nursing and I looked into that career. I met with a nursing advisor at a nearby state university and I may be able to get into the program next spring if I ace all the classes I'm taking this semester and summer to bring my gpa up.

I have looked into a lot of careers and don't know what is the right fit. I never thought about what I wanted to be as a kid, and now I want to make a smart choice. My dad is a carpenter and mom never went to school past fifth grade (they're divorced too) and my dad doesn't even really think I should go to college, just get an office job or something. But I want something more.

In my career I don't really want to be sitting behind a desk, I want to be moving. I would like to help people. I am passionate about health and fitness, and more so preventative care than helping people who don't take care of themselves. I want a career that will support all of the other things I want to do in life like travel and have a good healthy social and family life. I want a career I can be proud of. The only thing about nursing is that I'm not very good with stress at all and would ideally want a low stress career. I also do not want shift work. I feel like my purpose is more of having a good family life and not all about what I do in my career, but still want to help others.

I also really want to move out soon, and I know nursing school will probably not allow me to have a job. However, my boyfriend of five years finishes pharmacy school next spring (over a year) and he will be getting a job then. We're probably going to move in together then. But I really want to pull my own weight someday. Is nursing a good career to pursue?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Should I become a nurse if I don't like stress? - Dawn - 02-19-2014 12:45 PM
[] - Michelle - 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM
[] - Brent G - 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
[] - Pookyâ„¢ - 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
[] - Maria - 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
[] - Strife And Discord - 02-19-2014, 01:01 PM
[] - Jo - 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM
[] - monique - 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM