This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the teen culture in the Philippines?
02-24-2014, 11:26 PM
What is the teen culture in the Philippines?
I was born in the Philippines, but I moved to America when I was 5. Since my parents constantly grilled Visaya to me, I know it. On the other hand I have a horrible accent, and I understand Tagalog, but cannot speak it.
BTW. I don't look anything like an "average Filipino". Get this, my mom's grandpa is full Spaniard from Spain, and on my dad's side his grandpa was from China. So I look Chinese (with bigger eyes), white, and dark brown/gold hair. I don't have a flat nose.
Next summer, I'm taking a 2 month vacation in the Philippines. I'll be 16 when I go there, so I want to know what I'll expect. I want to look cool in front of my cousins, so what are the trends like in the Philippines now? Will I get "discrimanated" for my looks? I'll be staying 1 month in Manila and then 1 month in Cagayan de Oro. WOOOOOOO !
Okay, all you negative Nancys out there. I went back to the Philippines in 2005. I'm pretty sure that it hasn't changed as much as everyone says. I understand it is Asia's most corrupt country, but I love the Philippines. Anyway, I'll be staying with relatives the whole time so I don't think I'll be raped/killed.

In an answer, I'm looking at what teens do or what they find cool. Like in my town, here, it's cool if you are really good at a sport or a b-boy or are a very good singers. On the other hand, playing video games or sitting at home all day is uncool. And what's a good Filipino entertainment site to follow?
Maybe I phrased my question differently. I just know that when I went back in 2005 many of my cousins said,"She's so white..., who's side is she from?." They were potentially hurtful comments. For those who think I'm arrogant in anyway, I feel like I'm not. I'm just concerned. I live in a very conservative part of the world, and all the kids here, when they see an asian, immediatly think "Foreign, Unfriendly, Nerd..." I just wanna fit in. I pointed out my features because here, it's cool to be "tan", and in the Philippines I wondered if that was "in". Another example is that, I dye my hair blond sometimes, cause it's "cool" here. I know; My personality is the "fit in" type, but that's just how I am.
Maybe I phrased my question differently. I just know that when I went back in 2005 many of my cousins said,"She's so white..., who's side is she from?." They were potentially hurtful comments. For those who think I'm arrogant in anyway, I feel like I'm not. I'm just concerned. I live in a very conservative part of the world, and all the kids here, when they see an asian, immediatly think "Foreign, Unfriendly, Nerd..." I just wanna fit in. I pointed out my features because here, it's cool to be "tan", and in the Philippines I wondered if that was "in". Another example is that, I dye my hair blond sometimes, cause it's "cool" here. I know; My personality is the "fit in" type, but that's just how I am.
Trust me, by "looks" I just me how I look. I know for a fact I'm not pretty; I've accepted that. The fact is, I don't look like your average Filipino. Even in the Filipino community here, the adults make jokes about it that are sometimes mean.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What is the teen culture in the Philippines? - Yen - 02-24-2014 11:26 PM
[] - alex - 02-24-2014, 11:36 PM
[] - Marjorie - 02-24-2014, 11:40 PM
[] - Kana Lola - 02-24-2014, 11:44 PM
[] - chuckhole - 02-24-2014, 11:51 PM
[] - Independant - 02-24-2014, 11:57 PM
[] - lolit - 02-25-2014, 12:00 AM
[] - lowConqueror695 - 02-25-2014, 12:02 AM