This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How am I using so much data?
03-07-2014, 08:04 PM

Alas! I'm here to help.
My name is Derek, and I am a billing and sales agent for AT&T!
So this is my area of professionalism!

About everything you do requires data. Sending pictures through text messages uses data. Using facbook uses data.. 99% of apps use data (and the longer you are running the app, the more the data uses). Let me give you an example. You download a game on your phone. You have the game opened for 1 hour straight playing the game. For that entire hour, the game is continuously sending data to the host site that made the game for things like Highscores, user information etc.

I'll give you a quick lesson on storage and stuff real fast too. KB stands for kilobyte. MB stands for Megabyte. GB stands for gigabyte. KB, MB and GB are all measures of space on a computer (or phone or tablet or anything that stores information). KB, MB and GB are what people look for when they are shopping for a new laptop and they want to know how much crap they can download before the computer starts to go too slow because they've downloaded too much. Kilobyte is the smallest, Megabyte is the next one up, and Gigabyte is the largest. My cellphone has a 2GB per month plan. That means I can use up 2 gigabytes of data each month without going over any limits. There is aprox. 1000 kilobytes (KB) in one gigabyte (GB), and 100 in a megabyte.. There is 100 megabytes in a gigabyte and so on and so forth...
So if I send a picture through text message to a friend, and the size of the picuture is 2 KB, then I can send another 1000 pictures of the same exact size before I go over. Not to mention --- Guess what? ---- I just used even more data!

To more directly answer your question - I would have to know your data habits. I would have to know somewhat personal information.. Stuff like if you download and play games, and exactly what games are they? Do you send lot of pictures to friends and family? Do you upload a lot of pics to Facebook? Do you watch youtube on your phone?

This is stuff I dont want to know (haha) - So the best way I can help you directly is to try and help you understand how data works on a contract plan for a phone

P.S. No your parents cant see what kind of emails you send unless they know your email password. They can read your text messages if they wanted to by requesting them from the cellular provider you have though Tongue

Don't forget, if you feel I've answered your question best - Please vote it accordingly!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How am I using so much data? - Georgia - 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM
[] - Andrew Logan - 03-07-2014, 07:47 PM
[] - mikeyvillain - 03-07-2014, 08:02 PM
[] - Derek Keene - 03-07-2014 08:04 PM
[] - James Bond - 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
[] - Robert McCrea - 03-07-2014, 08:15 PM