This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why are some white girls so obsessed(??For lack of a better word) with being skinny?
03-09-2014, 09:23 PM

'Skinny' is pretty much one of the Western standards of beauty - one look at the general weight of women in Hollywood, on the cover of magazines (e.g. Vogue, Marie Claire) and on the catwalk (i.e. fashion models) should make this crystal clear. Realistically it's pretty much always been that way in Hollywood and in fashion but the *really* skinny trend that's popular right now really kicked off in the 90's with the 'heroin chic' trend; which was further capitalised on by the 'size 0' trend of the '00s. There are some women like Kim Kardashian, Christina Hendricks, Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez who've deviated from that trend but realistically - none of them is really *big* at all, they're bigger by Hollywood standards. I don't think it's just a white thing - how many non-skinny black, asian or latina actresses or singers do you see hanging around Hollywood? Very few. And honestly, a lot of is just a female thing. There's a far higher degree of media scrutiny and pressure regarding female weights and sizes than men; which means most women regardless of weight feel pressure to conform to a certain size. In terms of what *I* consider skinny, a lot of it depends on height - a US size 10 looks different on someone at 5ft1 than 5ft 8. But in general terms, US sizes 0-2/4 are what I consider skinny and US size 4-6 would be what I consider to be slim.

Hope this helps

(:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Cantankerous - 03-09-2014, 09:21 PM
[] - Laura - 03-09-2014 09:23 PM
[] - Girl In Da Corner - 03-09-2014, 09:37 PM