This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is it socially acceptable to mock Christianity but not other religions?
03-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Well, even though I'm an atheist, I completely agree. I think all religions should be able to cope with people poking fun at them, to a reasonable extent. I think it's bizarre that you aren't allowed to make a cartoon or write a book that is in any way critical of Islam, for example, without provoking a storm of violence and ridiculous behaviour, death threats etc, which are out of all proportion to the so called 'offence'. On the whole, in my experience, Christians cope a little better than muslims with this sort of thing.

I do not think it is in any way reasonable for people to issue death threats, fatwas, or picket films, book launches etc. Words and pictures cannot harm you. When you start burning books, it is a slippery slide to murder and genocide. The Nazis burned books. Then they burned and otherwise murdered several million people.

Religious and political correctness can go too far. Today people mustn't be homophobic, sexist, racist, etc, but it is apparently perfectly ok to ridicule the ugly, the old, the fat, the mentally ill etc. This is not any sort of equality.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Tiger - 03-23-2014, 07:34 AM
[] - OzNana - 03-23-2014 07:44 AM