This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have no career plans! :(?
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM

I am sure you can get a lot of advice on this subject from a bunch of people, but I will try to give you a few suggestions too.

I started to get interested in things when I started to learn about people who were interested in certain subject. In k-12 my classes never mentioned the inventors, scientists, philosophers etc. they just mention the material but not how the facts were discovered. After I watched documentaries about the beginnings of computer science and famous computer scientists, I then became interested in computer science myself.

For me to get more interested in science, I loved learning about the scientists who made the discoveries first. To do that by yourself, you can just watch documentaries on youtube, check out books from a library, read articles and for sure read the wikipedia pages.
Here is a cool scientist, Nikola Testla
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...a%20&sm=12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

A lot of the time you have to go beyond what is taught to you in school and seek out additional information to make what you are learning in school meaningful to you. Always ask yourself, "why is this important?" and then google it to find out why what you are learning is important.

I started to listen to the news when I was in college, i listened to the easy stuff first and then I moved onto the more complex news after that. and if i never understood what they were talking about on the news, I just googled it and made myself understand. This was very important to me because once you start putting in information into your head, you learn more about the world, and subsequently learn what you are interested in.

I encourage you to join clubs at your school, since you have no interests, put the names of the clubs into a bowl and just pick two to join and commit to the clubs for at least a year. Joining clubs is a great way to learn something new and it can be a great opportunity to build your social skills and problem solving skills.

Have you ever read Chicken soup for the high school students soul? I thing you may like it. I have the college version, you may like that too. Those books give you insight into why other people like the things they like and in return can inspire you to find out what you are interested in.

If you stay curious and drive yourself to seek out answers, then you should eventually find a few things that you are interested in.

You should also keep an open mind. I never thought I would intern at a campaign office or have a social media internship, but I did. I never thought I would be interested in those things, but I am now.

Once you become more interested in subjects, then you will have a better idea of what career you want. That link to a list of careers that another answerer provided is a good link, you should really look at that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I have no career plans! :(? - Alexis - 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
[] - Myhoo - 03-24-2014, 10:17 AM
[] - Judy Wu - 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM
[] - Sarita - 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
[] - Sharda University - 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM
[] - April - 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
[] - jannsody - 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM
[] - Jules - 03-24-2014 10:53 AM
[] - Chris - 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM