This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turning the horse wrong?
03-24-2014, 10:57 AM

I was taught to have the horse bend around the leg, so if you're going right, squeeze the right rein and put your right leg in the horse's side, and hold the horse in position with the left leg (a little further back than the right leg). So, if you're going around the arena to the left, left rein, left leg to hold the horse at the rail and right leg to hold the hind end from drifting too far left.

Now, a few years after I learned English, I was observing at a well known TWH barn. The owner was schooling a buyer and told her to use the right rein to keep the horse on the rail going left. I certainly didn't want to question this long time trainer/breeder/shower, but I was confused. Later, I questioned yet another trainer, though she was mostly a western trainer (some English, though) and she said it didn't matter! So there are different ideas out there. Though I'm confident I was taught correctly because of where I learned.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Turning the horse wrong? - Brianna - 03-24-2014, 10:42 AM
[] - SavvySAM - 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM
[] - CDog - 03-24-2014 10:57 AM
[] - Carly - 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM
[] - RedneckCowgirl2 - 03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
[] - Beau - 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM