This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it just me, or is 8-13 too young for a Facebook?
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Is it just me, or is 8-13 too young for a Facebook?
Many of you know what I'm talking about. Parents letting their young children on Facebook, open to stalkers and other online predators. I think that the minimum age for a Facebook should be 16 or 17. By then, many teens know the dangers of the Internet and they take caution (if they're smart). I'm not posting this because I'm not mad that younger kids are on Facebook (which I partially am), but I'm posting this to protect young children. 8 year olds on Facebook lie about their age and do not know about the privacy settings, therefore they do not use them. Younger children are easy targets to killers because of this. I think that it is the lack of parental control. Parents should pay attention to what their children are doing online. They might not say 'yes' to a Facebook, but their children would do it anyway. So, in a way, parents are letting all these things happen to their child. I'm not a parent, but I do understand that it is almost impossible to watch them use the computer all the time; but at least do your best to block out harmful or inappropriate websites on you home computer.

I always thought that Facebook was to catch up with old friends, classmates, and family. I don't really think that 3rd graders need catching up to do, and neither do 13 year olds. High Schoolers may need to swap notes, homework assignments, or some other school related things. But instead of going on Facebook, why don't they just email each other, or call each other. Most teenagers have cell phones anyway, right?

If you think that I'm just talking about Facebook, I'm not. I'm talking about YouTube, Twitter, Myspace, and many other Social Networking sites. I think that no children should be let on these websites! If you agree please say so. If you do not, please post an appropriate age for a child to get a Facebook, YouTube, etc.

P.S. I am 13 and do not have a Facebook, Twitter, etc., and I do not plan on getting one. I only have a Yahoo account, so please don't think I'm being hypocritical. I asked this question to get others opinions. This question is mostly for the adults, but I would like to hear teens/tweens opinions as well. Thank You!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is it just me, or is 8-13 too young for a Facebook? - Vulgarspy487 - 03-24-2014 11:08 AM
[] - hey - 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM
[] - Leslie Turner - 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
[] - LOL I PWN UR FACE - 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM
[] - Screen Burn - 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
[] - dannyboy2111 - 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM