This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Social workers?
03-24-2014, 11:33 AM

1. What sort of training do staff members need in order to work at a social agency (for example, a shelter for abused women or abused children) ? I preferred ongoing training and seminars. I don't feel masters are necessary and sometimes I felt like people used them to brag about how intelligent they were, but when it came down to the nitty gritty they weren't great social workers.

Add on: If you are thinking of working in social work, you would need a bachelors or an associates with related experience and volunteerism and a sincere desire to help. Bachelors is good. Masters is easiest, but is it worth it? The income for social work is not good. If you are going into a field of work, try marketing. Most social workers would be good at marketing. gl.

2. What might prevent your agency from reaching its goals? Non-cooperation between co-workers. Nasty hostile work environments. I worked at 5 agencies in all and noticed it every single time. I had to focus on my work to distract myself from the office, which I found more stressful than the people I was helping.

3. What made you want to become a social worker? I wanted to help people, but also it was the only job in the rural area in which I lived that had a nice title of respect as well as better satisfaction. It paid the same however.

4. Do you get emotionally attached to the people you srve? No.

5. How long have you been a social worker? I was a social worker for 7 years, not anymore.

6. Are there ever times you feel like quitting? Eventually I did. I found the work environment too hostile. I also was not paid well.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Social workers? - Lilly B - 03-24-2014, 11:31 AM
[] - wcarolinew - 03-24-2014 11:33 AM
[] - King Midas - 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM