This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sister-in-law created Facebook page for her underaged child. Should I do something?
03-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Mindy,

Your concerns are right. Facebook is not a place for children. It's intent was for college students to keep in touch. Now all the kids want to get on it just like MySpace.

Its quite dangerous for any child to be on a social networking site. If it weren't, there wouldn't be joke pictures on the internet like a fat shirtless guy with a beard and a pink-caption across the picture that says, "14 / F / CALI" or http://mycrimespace.com/ which is a forum that posts on most if not every child-pedophile caught on social networking sites. Mostly Myspace.

While they are protective of him, the restrictions should be applied without his knowlege. Letting him have one only shows him or enables him to create one they don't know about.

I let my 5 year old daughter play some games a ggg.com, nickjr.com, or knowlegeadventure.com.
All other sites are blocked for her account and she knows she's not ever allowed on anyone elses account... Unfortunately she doesn't always ask people to save their work before logging them off and its funny sometimes.

'As far as I'm concerned, she has no business, nor will she have any business publishing herself in any social networking site until she's at least 18. Kids also don't even realize the professional defamation they can cause on themselves by publishing their childish antics. An employer could see a video of them being reckless at 15 but seeing their profile at 20 trying to apply for a job there.

Kids have no business on social sites for their own protection. I got online when I was a teenager but it was my passion as a growing IT professional. This was also a different time in technology. I got on there to learn and at that time, pedophiles didn't know really how to do anything about the internet. People bought modems and paid for the internet before they got a computer at that time because they heard how great the internet was but didn't even realize a computer was needed!!!

Now... it's all plug-and-play, and computers are extremely accessible these days. Kids should be protected from these sites because they. Sorry children, rebuttle all you want but you have no idea what you're talking about. Live the age before you talk about it.
1) Aren't responsible for their actions
2) Cannot even though they think they can, protect themselves...

Under the circumstances though, the new family and all... I would just let it slide.
You know its wrong, just make sure when you have your child getting close to that age, you stick to your guns... However it's their responsibility. You could report them as negligent and illegal account age...but it's family... You would be doing them a favor but they would just reopen one and not tell you about it.

I hope this has been helpful. Best of luck to you on your decision.

Best Regards,

Steve K. - MCITP: SA, MCTS: Windows 7, RHCT/RHCSA (IT Professional and student majoring networking and systems security)

Perhaps you could provide this link for your inlaws.
http://www.cpiu.us/internet-safety/ - CPIU (Child Pedophilia Investigation Unit)

** Tiffy make's a good point that you should discuss it with them. I wasn't saying that discussion wasn't a go. I was saying that submitting the report was probably a no-go. If its something they consented to, they accept the responsibility. I do strongly urge that you make sure that they are aware of the consequences of worst-case scenarios and the previous events with other teens.
That mycrimespace.com site is a perfect example of some of the things they should see. The 14/F/CALI is something they should see...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Kira - 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM
[] - Computer ER - 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
[] - iJustine no1 fann! - 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
[] - David - 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
[] - Steve K - 03-24-2014 12:08 PM
[] - TiffyKatt - 03-24-2014, 12:16 PM
[] - kindlocket672 - 03-24-2014, 12:24 PM