This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm 15 and I want to model?
03-24-2014, 04:37 PM

I was a commercial print model for 6 years. Modeling has much more to do with body awareness than anything else. Knowing how to find your lighting and body angles is most important. Also, they key to being a successful model is being able to easily portray a variety of looks in your portfolio. This is important because different designers and advertisers look for different kinds of "looks" depending on the designer's style and also what is being promoted for the upcoming season. You will have the most success if you can easily change your look using your body position and facial expressions and the most successful models are typically quite androgynous.

If you want to go ahead and start breaking into the modeling world here are some first steps I would recommend:

1. You need to put together a portfolio and a comp card. A "comp card" or "compilation card" has your headshot on the front along with your name and 3-4 pictures from your portfolio that best demonstrates your "range" of looks. I highly recommend that this be done by a real photographer because it is always quite obvious when your portfolio consists of pictures you are tagged in on facebook... Wink

2. You can start getting your look "out there" by setting up a profile on Model Mayhem. I used Model Mayhem primarily for online branding exposure and to book the occasional odd job after my modeling contract with my agency ended (because MM is where photographers can find you and book you for shoots locally) but I only accepted paid work from MM because you always need to be careful as model. Since you are just starting out you can have the option of doing TFCD or TFP shoots (Time for CD or Time for Print) which is where you model for the photographer for free and in exchange they give you professional photos to build your portfolio. This is a great option and much cheaper than hiring a photographer (but make sure to call or contact their references and other models on MM they have worked with in the past to make sure they are legit and not a creeper).

3. Attend local auditions! I found my agency, Victor's International, through the Pro Scout auditions. I was signed with them for 3 years and was even able to continue going to college and modeling at the same time. They would notify me of go-see auditions for shoots no matter where I was living which let me go away to college in a different state and continue to model.

4. On you auditions the most important thing to do is to MAKE YOURSELF MEMORABLE! When I did my audition for Victor I waited until all the other girl's auditions were over and ask him a few business questions about his agency being an international agency. Out of all the 1,500 individuals that tried out at the Pro Scout auditions, I was one of 13 girls that Victor signed and it wasn't because I was the tallest or skinniest or prettiest or had the most experience - it was because I had a variety of looks in my portfolio and most importantly because I talked to him about business for 5 minutes before he left because that is what made him remember me. Modeling is a business and the best models are smart models. Show them you are intelligent and willing to learn and you will do well!

Best of luck!
Michelle
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I'm 15 and I want to model? - Katherssss - 03-24-2014, 04:17 PM
[] - Mandy - 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
[] - Marcus - 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM
[] - klang - 03-24-2014, 04:31 PM
[] - Michelle - 03-24-2014 04:37 PM