This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Yahoo Mail buggy when switching to Basic; won't stick?
03-25-2014, 09:45 PM
New Yahoo Mail buggy when switching to Basic; won't stick?
So, yesterday I was greeted with the rollout of the new-look Yahoo Mail. I get it; new everything, all the time. Everybody does it, and there's little point rallying against the change. HOWEVER:

For a start, the layout simply does not work on my screen resolution. I have a 24" monitor at 1920x1080 and I always have my windows full-screen. The new version of Mail hangs decidedly to the left, leaving almost half of the right side of my window completely blank. I can't resize it (either bigger or smaller), and so I'm stuck having to scroll down twice as much to read messages. Not great.

I also have no idea why the tabs were ditched. I filter a number of my emails, so being able to switch between the Inbox, current messages and my Folders was invaluable. Now, I can no longer do that. At least not with New Mail.

Fortunately (sort of), I am given the option to switch back to 'Basic'. Now yesterday, after some trial and error, I got this to work to get back the previous version of Mail exactly as it was, however it wasn't without problems. The first time I switched, it threw me back into a version of Mail that looked like it was circa-2001; no preview pane, no keyboard commands, no quick reply, nothing. So I switched back to New Mail, then went to switch back to Basic... only this time, I selected a different font size FIRST, then chose Basic view, then clicked Save. Voila! I got the previous version of Mail back, exactly as it was.

Only then I signed out after a couple of hours. Signing back in again, and lo & behold, its reverted to New Mail again. This time, I switched it back and stayed signed in for the rest of the day.

This morning, that 'hack' no longer appears to work. If I switch to Basic, it doesn't matter what other options I screw with first - it always reverts to really, really, *really* Basic. So I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, as neither option is a viable one for me. I'm currently debating whether or not I can use Gmail or similar to pick up my mail instead, as I just can't work with this interface. Either of them.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Yahoo Mail buggy when switching to Basic; won't stick? - Lawrie - 03-25-2014 09:45 PM
[] - Trooper63 - 03-25-2014, 09:47 PM