This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you have hope for this world? (Long rant question)?
04-04-2014, 04:25 AM

Yes, I do. I would ask that you re-focus your views of mankind. You seem to be too strongly and singularly focused on the negative aspects. I'm not saying those should be ignored, but rather you should expand your worldview to include the good too.

Take a walk through a busy park sometime. See the old couple sitting on a bench, still in love after so many decades. Watch the dad play with his 3-year-old, and see the child's happiness reflected in the parent. Volunteer for a day serving food at a food bank or reading to children at a public library. Join a group that is fighting for a cause you believe to be good, like being pro-gay rights, pro-civil rights, anti-racism, or anti-war, and see the good they are accomplishing.

Search your local libraries or bookstores for a book called "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker. It's a long read, but it documents in great detail the many ways our world is becoming better over time. Violence and killing, in spite of what we constantly hear in the news, have been on the decline for centuries now. Human rights have been increasing. We are becoming more civilized.

You point out a lot of the bad qualities of humans but there is an even bigger good side for those willing to look. Humans are kind, compassionate, funny, capable of great selflessness, and yes, the good majority do prefer love over war. TV and the internet tend to give a distorted view of humanity as violent, brutish, shallow and stupid. ("Except of course for those who follow MY ideology/religion/politics.") But this picture is itself shallow, and fails to adequately show the full depth of the human condition, a condition on display all around us if only we'd turn off our TV's & computers & smart phones and pay more attention to the real human experience.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Naguru - 04-04-2014, 04:16 AM
[] - 167 - 04-04-2014 04:25 AM
[] - Stevenson - 04-04-2014, 04:41 AM
[] - CB - 04-04-2014, 04:51 AM