This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why do people starve/harm themselves?
04-08-2014, 04:50 AM

Well, the the reason you do not understand it is because it's irrational. Rational people do not understand the irrational. That is natural. Therefore, you really won't be able to understand.

However, just know that the thoughts that drive them to starving or cutting are not based in reality. I do not mean they are having psychosis or are psychotic (they are NOT), I mean that when they see, for instance, their body in the mirror, they see fat. Now other people will look at them and see no fat, but they do.

The people who are cutting are seeking relief from pain. Again, it's irrational. However, the way I understand it, the pain they are experiencing is emotional -not physical. Therefore, in their mind, there is no valid reason for the pain. Therefore, by cutting, it sort of gives reason to the emotional pain they feel. However, I've never cut, so I do not know. I do know that cutting DOES provide some form of relief (and is, therefore, a coping technique), however it is a very poor treatment for their pain. The problem is that the pain (emotional) is still there after the bleeding stops. Then there is the guilt and embarassment of the scars. It creates more emotional pain, which leads to more desire to cut. Horrible cycle.

The thing that the cutters need to realize is that there are FAR BETTER treatments for the emotional pain, and cutting is a very sucky treatment for pain (same thing for illegal drugs, they are a very sucky treatment for the real issue). The doctors have MUCH better forms of treatment, which provide lasting and effective relief -with no pesky scarring!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - hannah - 04-08-2014, 04:38 AM
[] - aliza ❀ - 04-08-2014, 04:45 AM
[] - Princess Vespa - 04-08-2014, 04:46 AM
[] - Liam - 04-08-2014, 04:47 AM
[] - irving snotpocket - 04-08-2014 04:50 AM
[] - United Ireland - 04-08-2014, 04:57 AM
[] - I. U. - 04-08-2014, 05:01 AM
[] - Billie - 04-08-2014, 05:08 AM