This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
senior citizen needs financial aid via student?
04-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Congratulations on your recovery! I'm a former drug and alcohol therapist and sexual assault counselor who's a few months older than you. When I left the agency and relocated to be with terminally ill family, it never occurred to me that requirements for those fields would change by the time I was ready to return. Last year I found a counseling job in a domestic violence shelter, where my experience was more important than my specific degree. I believe it's never too late to start over and I commend you for your determination. We're younger in our 60's and 70's than previous generations.

I think you need to talk to a financial aid counselor at the community college. There seems to be less financial aid for part-time students, let alone someone going for refresher courses. Would you be eligible to substitute teach? Have you considered teaching non-credit courses at the college?

Having worked part-time in the recreation (life enrichment) department at nursing and assisted living facilities, I know there's a lot of opportunities for work with seniors. Some families need someone to sit with an elder member for certain hours of the week. In Phila., there was a system of matching seniors who wanted to stay in their homes with college or grad students who were willing to do certain things (grass, snow, garbage, pet care) in return for very low cost rent. Check with church organizing bodies for their programs (Diocese, Presbytery, etc.).

It's wonderful that you're doing charitable work in your field. You might try advertising through charities and churches the low cost way. Prepare a brochure and hand deliver it to directors of agencies, especially hospice care programs. Meeting you and getting to see and hear your kindness and sincerity will do more than advertising media. Best wishes for a thriving life.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Kay - 04-08-2014 07:25 PM