This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I go to high school?
04-08-2014, 08:43 PM

I can give some description, but bear in mind that I go to a very highly ranked high school and my experiences may not be true across the country. My area is extremely academic-- I don't say this to brag, but to say that it's not universal

I have friends who are homeschooled, and my brother was homeschooled for a year, so I can give pros and cons on both sides.

High school requires a lot of time management, as another user said-- if you don't plan out work well, you're f***ed. There's a lot of hard work, dilegence, and grit involved, with a ton of homework depending on the class. That's not to say homeschool doesn't involve it, but there's less room for flexibility. And a lot of classes require tons of memorization. And there are loads of mandatory classes that may be boring, like health education and math. You have a lot of classmates who are annoying, immature brats, cliquey gossipy girls, blockhead jocks (lol), et cetera, et cetera.

However, there are positives. It is easier to get a social experience and find friends and interests. The teachers have training, which lifts the burden off of the parents to learn from a book to teach you. IE, I think it's required for science teachers to have a degree in their respective fields to teach.
And it's less costly and time-consuming in terms of parental investment. Also, there are interesting classes that, in my opinion, counteract boring ones by a lot.

There are obviously positives to homeschool, like bigger flexibility in scheduling and a self-directed education. But a big disadvantage is getting accredited for colleges. I know you can take a GRE, but there might be technicalities involved.

Not as in-depth as I was looking for, but I hope it was somewhat useful Smile))))
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Should I go to high school? - OliveTree - 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
[] - ☮I♥NCIS☮ - 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
[] - Daeim - 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM
[] - immensedock856 - 04-08-2014, 08:35 PM
[] - Hi - 04-08-2014 08:43 PM
[] - ? - 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM