This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I wrong to not want to let my kids have facebook?
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Actually, the "internet predator" thing has been exaggerated. Research shows that most "internet predator" crimes are usually statutory rape. Only 5% of online sex offenders posed as teens, only 5% of online sex offenders used violence, and only 3% of sex offenders forcibly abducted their victims. None of the victims in the LARGE sampling were under 12. 80% of sex offenders are honest about their sexual intentions.
http://www.nsvrc.org/publications/articl...s-preventi
So in other words, "most online predator" cases are teens seeking consensual relationships with adults. It's mostly those aged 15-17 who are the most likely to take risks involving contact with unknown people, and they are the most likely to be interested in sexual relationships. However, 95% of statutory rape is initiated OFFline and the statutory rapist is usually someone the victim knows. Teens are actually better at protecting their privacy online then adults. They are more likely to use an alias on websites like Yahoo! Answers.

Bullying can happen offline. Most bullying happens offline. People have bullied each other since ancient times and kids have been bullying each other for centuries, and only now people are committing suicide because of bullying? Suicide is not a normal response to bullying. Usually media don’t tell you other problems that may contributed to the victims suicide. If you teach your kid the right values and to tell you when they are being cyberbullied, they will be OK.

Finally, there are rude people offline. The likelihood of a stranger sending them a hateful message in their inbox is low. If that makes a kid suicidal obviously the kid isn't resilient enough (when I was 9 and 10, older kids, middle schoolers said mean and hateful things to me, bullied me, degraded me, called me names and I was never suicidal). They may encounter these types of people offline and you can't be there for them 100%. Besides, they may create a Facebook behind your back. I know a kid who created a Facebook using his FRIEND'S cell phone at school. the school allows cell phones during lunch and free periods and he continued to use Facebook and the school kept allowing despite the mom complaining to the principle, district and school board. Besides, Facebook is a great way for kids to stay in touch with friends who moved far away.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - robert C - 04-08-2014, 08:53 PM
[] - wvculturallover - 04-08-2014, 08:58 PM
[] - Elizabeth - 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
[] - P•Mom - 04-08-2014, 09:14 PM
[] - desmeran - 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM
[] - Mummy2be - 04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
[] - Bobbi - 04-08-2014, 09:33 PM
[] - Jarnickk - 04-08-2014, 09:38 PM
[] - Gretta - 04-08-2014 09:42 PM