This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can people have children?
04-08-2014, 09:33 PM

As a science student, I'm sure you know the basics of why people procreate: sex is a natural human desire and instinct, and the human race (as does every other race on earth) has a natural desire to keep itself alive and healthy, which means procreation: creating generations to replace the ones before them. I believe sex is ingrained in people's brains, as is raising kids. It's a social norm: people are expected to pair themselves off with the opposite sex, have kids to replace their own lives when they die, and strive for the highest paying job all the while to support that family and the economy they live in. It's a social norm and most people grow up without even considering an alternative: it's just a natural instinct for most.

I do believe that you have a point on many levels: humans are not actually keeping our race alive and healthy, because we are overpopulated and at some point our race will be decimated greatly if we don't solve this problem. We are also compelled to procrastinate and solve our problems "later", which usually means never. This is another pro to a growing population and having children- you're providing yourself with another generation to solve all the problems in the world that you didn't get to yourself. Unfortunately, this has created an entirely lazy group of animals with only the occasional bright star that sees us for what we truly are, as well as the things about us that need to change. We are a race that is far from perfect and I fear that this procrastination may be a part of us that we can't change, in which case our eventual decimation is highly probable.

I am also alike you in that I do not desire to pair myself off with someone and have kids. I always dream of another way of running things besides having societies and rulers. I like writing and want to write novels, and I've been trying to imagine humans living another way other than how we already do, since the way we live life currently is not sustainable even if we made HUGE changes to it (which we likely won't- see my 'procrastination' rant above). Reading the book "The Story of Stuff" by Annie Leonard really helped me understand this fact on many levels. I also dream of doing something worthwhile to change the world, and I have this idea that the first step is discouraging people from this social norm of "get married, have children". However, it seems that everyone expects different of you. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the comment "You're a pretty girl- why don't you have a boyfriend?" This comment drives me up the wall.

However, I do believe that there is a God, or rather, higher force up there that is controlling, or at least overseeing, everything. I am not very religious. History classes have taught me that religion can be corrupt and controlled to serve the church's interests. Spirituality, however, has nothing to with the church, or, indeed, anyone else on this earth other than you and what's up there. I implore you to look further into spirituality rather than religion, and to educate yourself on the difference between the tow, because it is there and it is HUGE. I also ask you to find the bright spots in life. You seem so focussed on the negative, when you fail to realize all the amazing things about humanity, all the great things we can do.

I believe if you are searching for a point to life and the meaning of it all, then you will never find it. Instead, try to think of what you can do for other. You've said it yourself: currently, humanity is a burden on the earth. However, you're thinking inside the box, within the confines of our own small society. Perhaps you should try traveling to another country or place outside of democracy and Western society. Try to think of other ways to do this whole "humanity" thing, and other ways to make your imprint on society, to serve others and make their lives easier. You could start by doing one great thing for another every single day, especially those who can never repay you. Maybe one day, you'll see the meaning of life after all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How can people have children? - Helena - 04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
[] - katie - 04-08-2014, 09:23 PM
[] - Chris - 04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
[] - pretty - 04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
[] - Jessica - 04-08-2014 09:33 PM
[] - Iron Wolf - 04-08-2014, 09:39 PM