This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saigon and Rhymefest Comments about Cheif Keef Situation?
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Not sure if I'm getting this whole bomb analogy correct lol, but to me, the "bomb" is created in part by the listeners. If the listeners themselves set a higher standard of music, then artists like Keef and others would have to chance in hell of making money. Record labels only sign or look for what sells, in the end it is a business and if you have a demand, then you supply it. Hip-Hop has been mainstream for years, but the only difference is that it has degraded it's quality. Artists like ATCQ, De La Soul, Gang Starr, Black Sheep, and so on had music playing on the radio and music channels non-stop, but at the same time their albums from were those hit singles came from were also great music that went on to becoming classics. You don't get that anymore from the radio as far as classic albums etc.

Anyway not sure if this is about violence in hip-hop or mainstream music, but that's my opinion ^^....

EDIT: When I said there is a demand, it was meant in response to sells. If a product is profitable, then it is clear that there is a demand for that product. The listeners aren't literally saying "please, please gives us more of this type of music...," but record companies know what is catching on. Record companies don't give two f*cks if the music is actually good or well presentation of hip-hop culture itself, as long as they are making money.

There was this video that I watched a while ago about old gang members from the Bronx that grew up in the hip-hop culture of the 70's and one of them said that back in the days the artists and listeners were the ones in control of the music and culture. They were the ones that practice the art and showed the outer places what hip-hop culture was about. You've seen those classic hip-hop movies like Wild Style, Beatstreet, and Style Wars where in each one you have white people coming into the ghetto's of The Bronx to peep out what this hip-hop phenomenon was about. The youth of back then were the ones in control of the art because it was something they had created and did it for the enjoyment, so of course the form of art was pure and nothing else. Somewhere along the line the music industry saw that hip-hop is a profitable source of money and since then it has been milking the sh*t out of it. Also many artists are also in it for the money as well lol. The point here is that I do agree with you in that there is brainwashing within hip-hop because the record companies are the ones that dictate what the people listen to and in reality, it should be the other way around. The artists/people are the ones that should tell the record companies what to put out and what is good music. If they don't want to, then go independent. This is the age of the internet, so there are more options on getting music to the public....

...but in the end, it is what is. The casual listeners are the ones that buy into it and support it. Real fans know what's good and where to look for it....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Graph - 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
[] - 40's and Hip-Hop - 10-15-2012 09:01 PM