This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Martial artists, MMA, Boxers etc. Have you created any hybrid martial art?
04-10-2014, 03:03 AM

"It comes from the most easy, and effective self defense moves"...

This is the part I always take umbrage with. What are you measuring that against? What is effective and easy to learn for one person, might be ineffective and difficult to learn for another.

Measuring your style against Krav, Kung Fu or Karate is also presumptious. Those are arts that were literally BATTLE Tested. Codified into systems and tested constantly over generations and refined.

It isn't that I am against hybrid systems (Kajukembo, Kempo, etc), it is that generally those Hybrid systems are developed by people who have extremely rigorous backgrounds to back it up.

Imi Lichtenfield basically fought in underground resistant movements against Nazis.. he fought daily life or death..

Mas Oyama tested his style of Karate against all comers.

Lei Tai matches in China helped develop and test Kung Fu schools against each other to refine their arts, add to the fact of virtually lawless country sides.

What qualifies someone to teach self defense? Is being a Law Enforcement officer enough? That even to me is a mistake, LEO operate with weapons, the law already being on their side, and willingly and knowingly going into a physical confrontation with known back up on the way.

What they are qualified more so than the physical skills, is the mindset of what victims have in common, things that criminals look for. That and knowledge of the law allows them to be very effective at helping with the actual mindset of self defense.

Not having some sort of background in dealing with actual self defense mindset, 90% of self defense, conflict avoidance, victim avoidance is awareness, mentality, and common sense.

Unarmed physical techniques play an incredibly small role.

I feel that with everything I teach someone is going to come away with their own Martial Art... not in the sense that it is separate, but that it is wholly theirs. It is the things that work physically for them, their timing and their methodology for setting things up. I am not presumptious enough to think even with my background and 20+ years of Martial Arts that I could boil down multiple arts into what is the most effective for everyone.

It is the reason MMA gyms have people who specialize in each facet. You have a wrestling coach, because he is able to break down all sorts of techniques for wrestling that might match an individual better, than giving a cookie cutter version of a double leg. It is the reason you have a striking coach, someone who has dedicated themselves to striking, so again they can work with what works for each individual. The list goes on.

Even then, all that comes away with someone having their own fighting style.. not a system, but essentially what works for them.

I think trying to codify multiple arts together and think that you are taking "the easiest to learn, most effective" techniques is foolhardy, because ease of learning and effectiveness is based on individuals.

I could show Osoto Gari (used in virtually every Martial Art), and how, when, what angles, and small nuances to the technique in how is thrown is going to change from individual to individual. If you are removed from the expert at that technique, you just have what works for you, you don't have the knowledge to show someone how they might modify it to work best for them. What you have is a watered down template of a technique without a clear understanding of its practicality and effectiveness, more over WHEN it is effective, and when it isn't.

You might have a boilerplate of Osoto Gari, but you don't have the understanding of when, where, and what needs to happen for it to work, and when it is the most devastating.

Just my opinion, I think if someone wants to be effective in different ranges of combat, they should go the source and learn from the most knowledgable person they can in a given range, and take what works and is effective for them.

Thinking you can take from other arts and deem what is effective and what isn't for everyone isn't just arrogant, it is closed minded.

Just my two cents.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Riley - 04-10-2014, 02:23 AM
[] - LIONDANCER - 04-10-2014, 02:35 AM
[] - Chris - 04-10-2014, 02:48 AM
[] - Another - 04-10-2014, 02:50 AM
[] - John - 04-10-2014, 02:54 AM
[] - judomofo - 04-10-2014 03:03 AM
[] - RawMartialArts - 04-10-2014, 03:14 AM