This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Today my horse took off with someone?
04-27-2014, 11:09 PM

Every horse in the world will bolt at some time, given the right stimuli.

In this case, the horse got multiple stimuli: some of the other horses were cantering away, leaving her. The rider was tense, no doubt holding on with his legs and gripping hard, while holding her back with the reins, thus putting her on the bit. The horse wanted to join her buddies, the rider was unintentionally giving "get ready" signals... and then the rider gave a clear Go! signal, leaning forward and no doubt as beginner riders do gripping really hard with his legs. He probably pivoted off his knee and his heels probably went into the horse's sides as well.

So... the horse took it as a signal to do what she thought he wanted and what she wanted to do anyway, and took off. The rider fell off.

To prevent something like this happening again, remember to never put beginner riders in this situation. Do not separate the group, with some horses leaving the group at speed and others expected to calmly stay back. Horses minds do not work this way. Groups expect to stay together; they're a herd. If some horses canter away, the others feel there's a reason - like a predator - and want to canter away too. When the rider feels nervous and scared to the horse, you've added another fear stimulus - like the rider sees a predator too. You put a beginner rider in a situation where he could not control the horse's basic instinct - flight - and the inevitable happened.

You couldn't recreate the situation because you weren't a beginner rider, tense and clinging on, and you weren't even tenser when you went under a branch leaning forward. Your other friend also knew the danger, and was ready for it. FB was afraid, that contributed to the horse's fear, and he didn't know he'd have to control it.

I let lots of people ride my horses, and I've never had much bad happen. I keep a close eye on my horses for signs of anxiety, and I don't allow beginners to put their horses in stressful situations. If one group wants to canter and another group doesn't, I separate the horses first - no one just canters away from the group! The beginner group halts, the other group walks away, and only once separation is clear and the stopped horses calm do I let the others canter. Then, if all riders are relaxed and all horses calm, we walk on. Note: the most responsible, capable, experienced rider stays with the beginners!

This is not the horse's fault; it's not FB's fault. It's actually yours. So if you're going to be annoyed, make sure you direct that annoyance appropriately. At yourself! It's not the horse's fault that she's a horse and acts according to her instincts. It's not FB's fault that he's a beginner and fell off. It's your fault. You expected a horse to be perfect under any and all stimuli; you expected that a beginner rider wouldn't need help. Unrealistic expectations.

Deep down you probably realize this, and that's why you're annoyed! Just vow to use a little more care next time in managing the entire group, and you'll all be fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - CDog - 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
[] - sazzy - 04-27-2014, 10:50 PM
[] - Cody - 04-27-2014, 10:52 PM
[] - lori - 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM
[] - PR - 04-27-2014, 11:04 PM
[] - zephania666 - 04-27-2014 11:09 PM
[] - Bec - 04-27-2014, 11:16 PM
[] - Ruckus - 04-27-2014, 11:25 PM
[] - JoAnn - 04-27-2014, 11:34 PM