This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I get rid of a virus on my laptop?
04-28-2014, 04:14 AM

Do NOT use AVG. A lot of people do not know this, but AVG encompasses spyware and adware. They will hijack your browser, store files all over your computer, re install when you uninstall, etc. I had AVG for a while and finally got rid of it by manually uninstalling it and deleting the files myself when it started to cause me problems.

This is what I use to deal with malware/spyware/adware/viruses:

I use Avast! free antivirus as my main antivirus.

I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall any suspicious programs that I have not intentionally downloaded (it will not only uninstall but delete all files left behind by these programs to ensure they are gone)

Remove all suspicious extensions from your browser.

I also run MalwareBytes, ADWcleaner, and SuperAntiSpyware(sounds sketchy I know but it's actually very good) all the free editions. The reason for having several different pieces of software to deal with malware and adware is that each company has a different database of known adware and malware. So your infection may only be treatable by one of the softwares above. I run full scans of all of these programs multiple times. The first series of scans eliminates rootkits and malicious programs that cover up where the viruses are hidden. The next series of scans works to peel off layer by layer until the core virus is found and finally deleted.

When your browser gets hijacked, it's also a good idea to run HijackThis.

This method has always worked for me, even on really tough viruses/malware/adware that you just can't seem to get rid of.

Some other good programs that I have not used but are worth looking at it Junkware Removal Tool, Spybot search and destroy, Hitman Pro, (all free editions)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Harley Drive - 04-28-2014, 04:03 AM
[] - Will - 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM
[] - Pearl L - 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM
[] - tumbleweed_biff - 04-28-2014, 04:08 AM
[] - Julia - 04-28-2014 04:14 AM
[] - Boss - 04-28-2014, 04:19 AM