This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why won't my parents let me have any privacy online?
04-28-2014, 07:34 PM

They just care about you is all. I know it's annoying, but keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago that social media did not exist. Your parents probably are worried that you'll post something on there that is inappropriate (keep in mind that even if you delete it, that doesn't necessarily mean it is gone. It could ALWAYS come back to haunt you in the future), or you could come into contact with someone who may not be the best affiliation for you to have. I know someone who wrote a nasty note to his girlfriend on Facebook after she broke up with him, and five years later, that same note surfaced in a job interview (he freaked out and didn't end up getting the job). I know another person who tweeted an somewhat inappropriate selfie two years ago on Twitter, and this January her employer found it. She had deleted it, but once you put something on the Internet, it's there forever, and so her employer came across it one day. You may think that these things could never happen to you, but then again, neither did these people.

Instead of fighting with your parents over this (which will never get you anywhere), use this as an opportunity to earn their trust. With time, once they see that you are responsible and not posting anything inappropriate or engaging with anyone who may be dangerous, they will perhaps give you more leniency.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - LAC - 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM
[] - Mircat - 04-28-2014, 07:25 PM
[] - David - 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
[] - Barbara - 04-28-2014 07:34 PM
[] - Joseph H - 04-28-2014, 07:39 PM
[] - jasmine - 04-28-2014, 07:46 PM
[] - Victoria - 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM