This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I connect a second modem to my network?
04-28-2014, 08:40 PM

For 99.9% of residental cable/dsl/uverse etc customers, the house gets it connection from ONE jack that's typically the one nearest to the modem. It's very difficult to replace the MODEM as they're configured with unique information that correlate to your account/billing etc. I'm assuming a few very common details about how your house is wired but the short answer is no, you cannot do what you're thinking.

I love these kinds of problems that invoke critical thought..(especially when I was young with nothing better to do)

Re-arrange the "problem" in your head, but instead of brainstorming from your room backwards start at the cable modem. Do you know if she is unplugging the entire router, or just your cable? (I would assume until proven otherwise it's just your cable..I'm not turning off MY Internet for nothing lol). If it's just your cable, I'd presume the wireless is still working. A PCI or PCI-E wireless card you CAN purchase from online and would be a much simpler proposition.

If she is in fact turning off the entire router, is she leaving the modem on? If so, you should be able to come up with some creative solutions that involve purchasing a second router or maybe only a switch, splitting the ethernet cable coming from the modem to the router, make it look natural, etc. This is really hard to determine based on the info available, but be creative and don't give up!

I'm sympathetic because I remember being your age and having all of that "AP Homework" to do. And when parents unplugged me, well how am I supposed to get good grades, get into a good college, and have a fruitful life? Mannn Parents just don't understand. Haha.. good luck technosport.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - BigDumbDinosaur - 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM
[] - DoktarZues - 04-28-2014 08:40 PM
[] - Brianyp - 04-28-2014, 08:44 PM
[] - Jan - 04-28-2014, 08:46 PM