This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lost on Ip conflict issue?
05-03-2014, 05:06 AM

I assume that your home network is set up around a wireless router that connects to your ISP connection.

First, let me comment on the terrible performance/reliability of your PC's wireless adapter. For some reason some wireless adapters are not fully compatible with certain wireless routers. On my own home network, I have experienced this problem four times over the past few years as I have upgraded my router or introduced new computers on the network. In a couple of cases, installing new drivers for the wireless adapters has solved the problem. In the third case, changing the wireless adapter was the answer. The final occurrence was a problem between my old router and a wireless webcam. The router upgrade cleared this problem.

If you have a wireless router and both the laptop and the PC have working wireless adapters, then you should be able to network both computers to the router with both computers configured to get their addresses automatically from the router.

If you want to use Internet Connection Sharing, then normally you will have to make sure that the router is not using sub-net 192.168.0.0/24. This is because ICS normally uses this sub-net for its secondary network that is offered to other computers, which are sharing the Internet connection. If your router is on the 192.168.0.0/24 sub-net, this could explain the error message you are getting when you try to configure ICS. With ICS, the secondary network provided by the computer through its second network adapter should provide a DHCP service and a router function for devices connected to the second network.

I have used ICS with a wireless connection to my ISP router, and Ethernet connection to secondary computers. I have also done this the other way round with the Ethernet connection to the ISP router and wireless connection to secondary computers. In the latter case, I had to use an Ad-hoc wireless network to connect the secondary computers.

If you want to use static addresses, then you should make sure that your static addresses cannot conflict with the addresses that can be assigned by the router's DHCP service. This does not matter if you have no devices using automatic address allocation by DHCP and all devices have static addresses.

I hope you solve your problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lost on Ip conflict issue? - 493 - 05-03-2014, 04:49 AM
[] - GTB - 05-03-2014, 04:54 AM
[] - Richard - 05-03-2014 05:06 AM