This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you think of my photos and where do you think i should do next?
10-16-2012, 01:58 AM

Where are the people in your portfolio? You are asking for customers, but we don't see any examples, I would like to see some studio work and how you light your subjects.

Flower shots are easy and are easily boring, you don't seem to have paid much attention to the backgrounds which are 'fussy' or to the lighting, controlled cross lighting adds texture and makes the images more 3D. I always carry a piece of black felt to use as a backdrop for flower close-ups, black emphasises contrast in your subject and eliminates any fussy background, makes your viewer focus on the subject which, of course, is the flower, give it a try.

This was taken as a title shot for a video, but it shows what I mean

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris-judge...hotostream

Alter your camera angle more, most are shot from a standing position, getting low can add drama especially to your (very good) HDR shots (I love the Old Railway Station shot).

Having something in the foreground of Landscape shots adds depth, pay more attention to the light, when is often more important than what in Landscape which is why dawn and dusk are so loved by Landscape photographers. Try HDR in your dusk shots and get some detail into the trees. Add people into your shots, to draw the eye, adds interest and scale.

Your a good photographer, but I would like to see more people. A lot of Pro photographers suffer from a lack of experiment, trying something different, you can get into a rut of what sells, but expanding your techniques filters down into your 'day job' too. (experience talking).

One of the best pieces of advice I ever had was to photograph 'bits of things' the rusting door catch, the peeling paint etc. and to get contrasty light into the shots. Making a few AV presentations or shooting video helps, the Old Railway Station could be a portfolio in itself, just by photographing 'bits of things', the discipline of getting 50 shots of a subject for an AV really improves your 'seeing', spotting subjects other photographers walk past, mastering flash and modifying the lighting is something that comes from studio photography, but can be applied in all your shots, but it definitely lifts your photography above the average, and your ready for it - you're good enough, you just need to get more creative (look at other peoples work) and to take more interesting subjects, develop your 'seeing'.

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - deep blue2 - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
[] - screwdriver - 10-16-2012 01:58 AM
[] - M - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
[] - Jeremy - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
[] - rick - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
[] - andy w - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
[] - Ara57 - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
[] - VanReitgen - 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM