This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is your take on the whole "Women Who Eat on the Tube" Facebook group?
05-14-2014, 06:09 PM

It is never acceptable to take pictures of another person without their consent -and in some areas, it's illegal. Taking pictures to post them to the internet with a creepy, bullying/shaming vibe, is extra creepy. It's not as bad as the 'creepshots' thing where they intentionally take upskirt photos and such and post them, but it's still extremely weird to even WANT to take pictures of strangers and share them in that way. Given the nasty comments people make about the images, I do think this is sexist -the idea seems to be 'how dare these women eat food in public' (or in some cases, 'how dare these women eat when I personally find them overweight'). It's not ethical, it is sexist, and while it wouldn't be sexist if the genders were reversed (because the gender norms for men and women are different, and men are rarely if ever shamed for eating), it would still be unethical and unacceptable. It's violating people's privacy.
It's also not ethical to post the details of the posters, although I can see where they're coming from -'if those posters believe it's ok to violate another person's privacy and post their location and photo online, then surely they would have no objection to their own info being posted online, right? Unless they're hypocrites who need a taste of their own medicine', is presumably the mentality.

HOWEVER -this is not a freedom of speech issue. Freedom of speech means freedom from government interference, freedom from government censorship. It does not mean other people are not allowed to call you out on your creepy, abusive behaviours, nor does it mean that privately-owned companies (such as Facebook) can't make a moral decision to shut you down. It also doesn't give you the right to violate people's privacy; while freedom of speech is important, there are always limits -you shout 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre, there d@mn well better be a fire, etc. I believe violating other people's privacy and engaging in bullying tactics is also/should also be a limit to free speech.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Innara - 05-14-2014, 05:22 PM
[] - Ya Coffee - 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM
[] - Biker - 05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
[] - Katie - 05-14-2014, 05:55 PM
[] - TheBellJar - 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM
[] - M - 05-14-2014 06:09 PM
[] - True Blue Brit - 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM