This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Again asking: What explains this Wikipedia problem?
05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Again asking: What explains this Wikipedia problem?
For about two weeks now, every page I go to on Wikipedia only shows the text that first appears on the screen, and when I try to scroll down to see the entire article, I get that visual "stuttering" in which a single horizontal band of text or imagery is repeated hundreds of times. The "stuttering" then freezes and never resolves itself into anything readable. So in effect, I am not able to use Wikipedia. This is not happening with any other website. My internet connection, browser, and computer performance are otherwise normal in every way. (I posted this question in the very poorly attended "Wikipedia" category, and nobody answered it.)
Keifer, et al: Thanks for the suggestions. I welcome any further thoughts you have. But here's the thing:

I've been using the same browser for years, and this problem has only occurred in the past TWO WEEKS. Never before. So it can't be the browser. (And anyway, I hate to think of reinstalling the browser, because I tried that for a completely unrelated reason a year or so ago, and it was a nightmare getting it done.) Also, I am aware that some pages sometimes load slowly. I've been using the computer for years. But that's definitely not what's happening here.

I did go to the Control Panel and found three programs that were somehow added during the past several weeks. (Commercial stuff that slipped by me somehow.) And I Uninstalled them. But the Wikipedia problem persists.

I also have tried to follow the instructions given by my browser (Internet Explorer 8) for deleting the cached information, but the instructions are illogically written, and it is not at a
RE-EDIT TO INCLUDE PORTION OF FIRST EDIT DELETED BY YAHOO:

...illogically written, and it is not at all clear which boxes are to be checked to remove the cache but save the Favorites--which I do NOT want to remove, as I rely on them heavily. If you happen to be familiar with Internet Explorer 8 procedures, perhaps you can advise.

One more thing: I have a hunch this problem may have to do with Google's elimination of "iGoogle," which I used for years as my home page. That event happened on November 1--right around the time the Wikipedia problem appeared. Too much of a coincidence, I suspect.
RE-RE-EDIT: "Kiefer." Sorry for the misspelling.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Again asking: What explains this Wikipedia problem? - They shoulda made me Lt. Friday - 05-27-2014 10:25 AM
[] - haire - 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM
[] - Kiefer - 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM